Bogie – R.I.P.

Bogie Selfie

On Friday, July 28, 2017, we lost Bogie, our best friend. There were three of us on this on-the-road, full-time adventure. Now there are two, and our hearts are broken.

Bogie came to us about 12 years ago, and was probably about 3 years old even then. He was always more than a companion. And he was always with us. When we had our business, he was our shop dog and customer greeter. He even had his own fan club. People would come into our showroom and we would ask “Can we help you?” Often times, the response would be “Oh, we just came to see Bogie”. Not exactly good for business, but he more than made up for it in what he gave us and others.

When we went anywhere locally, he was always on the center arm rest riding with us. When we traveled on longer trips, whether in the motorhome or in the car, he was with us. And for more than a year since we have become “full-timers”, he has been with us traveling to Glacier National Park, to the Pacific Northwest, to Southern Arizona, to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. He’s even floated on inner tubes with us down the Dechutes River in Bend, Oregon.

Several months ago, Bogie began having labored breathing and fluid build-up in his lungs. He was diagnosed with a heart murmer and an enlarged liver, consistent with old age. Medications were prescribed which were helpful in dramatically improving his quality of life. But we were warned that we were only buying him some time. A few weeks ago, he took a turn for the worse. He would eat less frequently and was dramatically losing weight.

Even so, since being in the Teton and Yellowstone area, we would take him for day trips here and there and he would insist on either looking out the windshield or sticking his nose and entire head out the open side window, taking in the fresh air, and let the wind blow his hair back. He always seemed to enjoy that.

Ultimately, time caught up with our dear friend. Part of our decision to stay here for a few weeks was because we knew we would ultimately leave here without him.

On a recent day trip into the back country, somewhat close to our camp, we came upon a spot that overlooked one of the most beautiful valleys we have ever seen in all of our travels.

We know it’s crazy, but Bogie’s final resting place is in this spot. With all due respect to veterinarians, we just could not turn Bogie over to a Vet that we did not know to be disposed of by whatever means they utilize. So, on Saturday, Bogie was buried high in the Absaroka Mountains of Wyoming, just outside of Grand Teton National Park. A beautiful and wild spot worthy of Bogie.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Bogie – R.I.P.

1. Teri Live Oak Fl says:

So sorry for your lost. Sounds like he was quite the adventurous dog.

2. Lou & Pat Adamo says:

Such a beautiful place for Bogie to spend his life in. So sorry for your loss. We know how you feel.

3. Gail from Buckeye AZ says:

I am so very sorry for your loss. Having recently lost one of my little ones I know the heart breaking pain you are going thru. They are our baby’s and to lose one is almost more than one can handle. A day does not go by without me shedding tears for my little Wee Willy!

4. I understand only too well your feelings of sadness and loss. Three of our original best Bayfield Bunch Pals are gone now and it is so hard to adjust to the loss of our best Pals when they are no longer with us. Pets are so much more than just pets. They are integral parts of our families, our hearts and our minds. It is a special friendship, a closeness, and an unbroken bond not found in the same way with our fellow humans. Travel on my friends and may Bogie be with you in Spirit always. Remember to keep that back window down for him on those sunny warm days………………

5. Rayeanne and Zack says:

We are so sorry for your lost. We know how much Boggie meant to you. I’m sure he will be greatly missed. Sending our sympathy and warm thoughts. XOXOXOXO
    Rayeanne and Zack

6. Dawn in MI says:

Oh no. I’m so sorry. I can’t imagine how hard that is. Well, I can imagine, but still, each loss is so unique, as unique as Bogie was. I’m glad you found a beautiful spot for him. Still…how hard it must be now without him. Huge hugs to you.

7. Ingrid says:

My sincerest condolences. I know it’s lonely traveling without him, but it will get easier with time. How wonderful that you found such a beautiful place for him. Sending warm wishes!

8. Don in Okla says:

So sorry for your loss of your dear friend. They sure leave a hole in one’s heart when they pass on.
    Don in Okla.

9. SALLY BROWNING says:

Thoughts come your way at this tough time…… I is so difficult to deal with the loss of a dear, dear family pet ……. I love your thought and care in finding just the right resting spot . It is BEAUTIFUL and very fitting ! Keep the memories close they are special.
    Thanks for sharing Bogie with so many ! All the best !

10. Mush says:

So very sorry to hear of your loss. Bogie was a truly special pup and we will miss seeing him on the road with y’all. Wishing you both the blessings that you need at this time.
    Hugs
    Mush and Teena Kitty

11. My heart goes out to you both. Your dog becomes a family member with unquestionable love. May Boggie rest in peace in that beautiful spot you picked out for him. The pain lessens as time goes on but you never forget. His spirit will be with you on all your upcoming trips.

12. Denise says:

Thinking of you in this time of sadness over the loss of Bogie. Remember the good times, like you are doing. He had a good life with you!

13. Dave says:

Well dang it, we are sure sorry to hear this. We understand how you feel and also know that does not make it any easier. Time heals and the good memories will live forever.

Comments are closed.